Thursday, March 27, 2014

So Teach Us To Number Our Days

Wind rushes past my face as Jason maneuvers the open cockpit airplane through the clouds flitting by. Jayden is strapped in beside me and Justin sits across from me on some type of bench seat. There are a few more passengers in the airplane and although they look familiar I can't identify them. Suddenly the engine falls silent. In slow motion the nose dips forward, then plummeting downward the whole aircraft begins to spin.  I stare down at the green fields twirling beneath us, drawing steadily closer, but feel no fear.

"Mom, Mom." It's time to wake up! I open my eyes to a small figure looming over me. Blinking a few times, I force myself back to the present. I'm not in an airplane plummeting towards earth.  It was only a dream, the second time I've dreamt it in two days.

It could be that the missing Malaysian airliner has something do with it, I muse.

Turning my attention to my oldest son, I tell him I will be out in a minute. Since he now has to wait for the recently installed alarm clock to go off before he can get up it must be past 6:30 a.m..

Later that morning as I'm praying I'm suddenly reminded of the words in Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

Life expectancy in Canada is 81, and in Haiti it's 62 but there's no guarantee we will get that old. In light of eternity even if we live to be a hundred years old our time here is still short.

What are we doing with the time God has given us? Are we counting our days and applying our heats unto wisdom? James 1:5 tells us If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Do these dreams mean I'm going to die soon? Maybe. Do I have to be afraid? No. Instead I will say with David. But I trusted in thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand:Psalm 31: 14-15a.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!
    Wishing you safe travels back to us!
    Love ya!

    Henry and Jenny

    ReplyDelete