Friday, August 7, 2009

The Orphanage

Poofs of dust swirl around my ankles as I gingerly make my way across the dry, rugged road. The flip flops I am wearing that were a bright red, have turned a silvery shade of gray. I wipe the back of my hand over my forehead and once again wish I had thought to bring a large handkerchief with me. It's over 40 degrees, not unusual for Haiti's summers. I pull the water bottle out of my bag and take a drink. Ahh.. that feels better. As I walk on, I let the events of the last few hours play through my mind.

I had always dreamed of working in an orphanage in a third world country, but until now the doors to such an opportunity had remained closed. I had prayed time and again, that if it was God's will he would lead me to an orphanage where I could volunteer and be a blessing to the children there, but it wasn't until today that God had finally opened the door.

While visiting Maison de Lumiere, or the Light House, with a friend, I was able to meet the owners, Bill and Suzette Manassero. After introductions, Suzette explained how they came to Haiti and how their dream was to raise these children to be lights in the community. Lights that would reflect the light of Christ.

After sharing their story, she asked about mine. When I told her my desires to volunteer at an orphanage she smiled broadly. After discussing some of the programs they had, she told me of their need for a sewing teacher.

"Can you sew?"

"Yes!"

"Well, we would love to have you join our team here and teach the teenage girls to sew."

After working out the details with Suzette, my friend and I slowly make our way back to the car. The swirling dust and overwhelming heat does nothing to detract from my excitement and thankfulness. Today God truly gave me the desire of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment