Saturday, January 12, 2013

Remembering

3 Years Ago   

January 12, 4:59 p.m.
I poke at a meatball in the pan to check if it's ready. Looks good!  Satisfied, I reach for the oven mitts and move the sturdy black pan from the stove to the counter. It smells delicious! Golden sunlight streams in through the kitchen windows adding a serene glow to the peaceful setting. It’s another beautiful afternoon in Port au Prince, Haiti.

Suddenly I hear a rumbling sound. Those dump trucks going up and down our street are certainly getting annoying.

The rumble gets louder and louder; then the sand coloured tiles beneath my feet begin to shake.

What is going on? Is this an earthquake? Haiti doesn’t have earthquakes! Hurricanes, riots, political unrest, sure, but not earthquakes!

The shaking increases in intensity and so does the noise.  Between the rumbling, rattling and tinkling I hear the sound of thousands screaming “Jezi! Jezi!” My heart fills with fear. 

Terrified I stumble towards the kitchen doorway.

In the doorway I stop. Through the clouds of dust I can see my husband staggering towards me, his face white with shock.

“Where’s Jayden?” I scream. Our two year old son is nowhere to be seen.

Jason turns around as the floor continues to buckle and wave. Losing his balance he drops down on all fours and begins to crawl back towards the living room. The seconds drag on and on.

Where are they? Is Jayden okay? "Please God, let them be okay."

Through the clouds of concrete dust I strain to see any sign of the two people who mean the most to me. Suddenly they emerge. My heart leaps.

The danger hasn’t passed yet though. The ground continues to rumble and shake. I hear the sound of shattering glass mingling with the screams of thousands of people.

 “Doorways are safer!” I yell over the noise and Jason nods. Covering Jayden we crouch under the doorway. 

Closing my eyes tightly I pray without words. No words are needed. God is here with us, amidst the rumbling, shaking and screaming. He is an ever present help in trouble.

We remain there in a tight cluster, one small family; until finally, thankfully, the shaking subsides.

One Year Later

For a year I pondered the question that many have pondered when tragedies happen

Why? 

Here is what God taught me during that time:

There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. Luke 21:11

In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. John 16:33
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:16-17

And call upon me in the day of trouble, I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. Psalm 50:15
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.1 Corinthians 13:12
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. Matthew 24:35
and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Matthew 28:20
He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Revelations 22:20

No comments:

Post a Comment