Thursday, April 23, 2015

In Everything Give Thanks

April 14, 8:30 p.m.

"Will, I think there's some weird flying creature in our bedroom.." Sighing, I flip over from my stomach to my side. After a week of being ill, I'm feeling faint and exhausted. 

It all began the last day we were in the Dominican Republic where we spent a few days for our annual MAF family conferences. In the seven days since then, I had lost eight percent of my body weight and what was left of me was having a hard time fighting whatever bacteria or virus I had contacted.

"It's probably just that silly moth that was buzzing around the bathroom before.." I mumble back.

"Hmm.. I don't think so," Jason replies. He's been sick too, and now slowly crawls out of bed to turn the bedroom light on. I squint as the bright light illuminates our room.   Sure enough we soon spot a giant cockroach just above our window. The heavy rain outside must have drawn it in, searching for cover. 

Watching it, I notice it must be a special kind as it buzzes around. Most cockroaches I've seen, can't fly. 

"Let's spray it."  Jason says. 

"Naa.. it takes to long to die that way, plus we'll have to breathe in the fumes all night. I'll go get the swatter." 

I stumble to the kitchen only to discover more giant cockroaches on the way. By the time I'm back in the bedroom I've already killed two. After making quick work of the flying one, we discover two more large ones trying to blend into our bedroom door. After disposing of them all, I crawl back into bed. 

"Cockroaches are definitely one thing I'm not going to miss about Haiti." I mutter to Jason. He smiles. "Or nasty stomach bugs for that matter."

We have nothing to complain about though. I remember one of the previous nights when I was in the bathroom feeling much worse, and I was reminded about another missionary friend who had spent time in a Haitian prison without a trial or formal charge, and had lost much more weight than us. At least we had bathroom facilities, running water, soap, toilet paper, and access to medical care.  

1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 

And the truth is, no matter what circumstances you find yourself in, there's always something to be thankful for!

1 comment: