Friday, October 3, 2008

A Crazy Day

The morning started good... I was up early and finished all my last minute packing, although the packing did take a little longer then expected. Since Jayden and I were taking a domestic flight from Bellingham to Boise Idaho, and we hadn't payed for a seat for Jayden we only could take one bag for the two of us. I think I repacked the suitcase about six times, before I only had the "real essentials" in and could close the zipper. Anyway, I had enough time to tidy everything and I put Jayden down for his morning nap early, but I think he spotted the suitcases so he was much to excited to sleep. We were picked up on time by my sister-in-law, and the drive across the border was pretty uneventful. The customs officer hummed and hawed a little but let us across anyway. Well at 12:30 we were about 15 minutes away from the Bellingham airport, according to our GPS, so we decided to quickly stop by McDonald's to grab a bite to eat. At 12:45 we were back on the road. Unfortunately the 15 minute drive to the airport soon grew to 45 minutes and we were still not there. Construction on the road, heavy traffic and having to stop at every single red light all contributed to the delay. At this point, I started getting worried. I really did not want to miss that flight. When we finally arrived at the Bellingham airport there was no parking upfront so we just parked in the middle of the road. Some people honked but at that point we didn't care. I jumped out, grabbed my suitcase, Jayden's bedroll, diaper bag, purse, laptop case, stroller and Jayden and stumbled through the door. My sister-in-law after finally finding a parking spot came running after me. "Well, I don't know if you'll make the flight", the lady behind the desk said, as she frowned at me. "Well, I'm going to try I said, as I hastily threw my bulging suitcase on the scale. At least it wasn't overweight! She gave me my boarding pass back and off I raced to the security gate. I gave my sister-in-law and niece a quick hug and then I stumbled on. The security guy wanted to chat and asked how me and my little brother were doing today. A little annoyed I brushed past him (come on, I'm 22, Jayden's not my little brother!). Then I started frantically throwing my things on the conveyor belt so they could be X-rayed. No one offered to help. All 5 of the security people just stood there and stared! I quickly unzipped my laptop bag, took of my shoes and Jayden shoes, collapsed the stroller while holding Jayden's hand so he wouldn't run away, and threw his blankie and Coco his doggie into one of the bins. Then to make matters worse, they made me empty my entire diaper bag that I had packed so meticulously and was bulging with everything I needed for Jayden on the flight. At that point I didn't care anymore, I just dumped it out in a bin, grabbed Jayden and raced through the metal detector. Then I slipped my flip flops back on and crammed everything I could back into the diaper bag. The security gaurd watching me said "I bet you didn't think about all this before you had him". I guess he thought I was this single teenage mom or something. Just then I heard my name over the loudspeaker. "Horizon Air is paging Crawl Willona" Laughing I raced across the tarmac looking back every few seconds to make sure I hadn't dropped anything. Then we ran into a new predicament. I had to collapse the stroller while holding Jayden and all my stuff. Well I managed, but Coco, Jaydens doggie and my purse both landed in a puddle. Anyway, I made it on the plane just seconds before they closed the door. Phew, we made it! From then on the trip was uneventful, Jayden was very well behaved in the plane and we arrived safely and on time in Boise, Idaho. Jason was waiting for us so we had a happy ending to a crazy day.

1 comment:

  1. What an unbelievable day for you two. Glad all turned out well.