Monday, August 24, 2015

The End; and a New Beginning

August 4, 2015
4:00 a.m.
Ring, ring, ring. I sit up groggily. The room is dark. Why is the alarm going off? My body feels so tired! Do we have to get up already? Suddenly it dawns on me. Today is the day! We are flying back to B.C! Wide awake now, I jump out of bed excitedly and head over to Alexander's room. Everything is already packed and now it's just a matter of loading our bags into the van and carrying the sleeping kids to their car seats. Since we already had said our goodbyes to our Aunt and Uncle we slip quietly out the front door and into the darkness.

Following the GPS's directions we are soon on the QEW headed to Toronto. As we drive, all is quiet; but not inside me. Inside my emotions are loud, all clamouring to be heard. There are happy ones, sad ones, excited ones, nervous ones, and scared ones. It is finally happening; after weeks of traveling and years of living overseas we are finally going home, sort of. God had reminded me a lot lately that my citizenship was not of this earth (Philippians 3:20) but if I had to pick a place where I felt most at home, it would still have to be Chilliwack; I think. 


That was one of the problems though. What if my old hometown didn't feel as homey as I thought it would? What if I had changed too much! Seven years was a long time to be gone and I know I wasn't the same person I was when we left! What if I didn't fit in? Or worse yet, what if I did, and just forgot all the valuable lessons I'd learned in my years away. 


My emotions feel too close to the surface. I feel vulnerable. I hate that. I like being in control.   Looking for a distraction I pull out my camera. The first picture turns out fuzzy but I still like it.




I wait for the sun to rise just a little more and try again. This time the image is clearer. I admire the sunrise. It's achingly beautiful!




An hour later we've reached the Toronto Pearson International Airport. My time to think and wonder and try to process is over; for now at least anyways. It takes all my concentration to help Jason get our three boys and baggage checked in, through multiple security checkpoints, and to the gate. Once we've reached our gate there is not much time left before boarding but Alexander is in dire need of a diaper change so I rush off with him to the bathroom. In the bathroom I hear an announcer paging Jason Krul and when I get back he tells me that they've given us one first class seat as the plane is overbooked. A little frustrated, I sigh. "How are we going to do this?" One of us can't sit with all three kids while the other sits in first class!"

"Why don't you take Alexander then and sit in first class and I'll take the other two. Jason suggests. "Okay, I guess that should work." I reply.

In first class I end up with an empty seat beside me so Jayden is able to join me as well. He is quite thrilled! "This is where you get treated like kings and queens right Mom? he says and I nod. We get spoiled with warm towels, non stop juices, snacks, a delicious breakfast and even our own iPads loaded with games.



We soon leave Toronto behind.


Alexander, who I've strapped to me with a belt is much happier this way than with my arms restraining him and soon falls asleep.


As I look out the window, I feel loved. 1 John 3:1 says "Behold, what manner of love the father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons (daughters) of God. 

Below me the landscape changes from prairies..


to rockies..


Four hours later, the Fraser Valley is in sight.


With a few moments of uncertainty as the airplane overshoots the runway and needs to come around for a second time we are all happy and thankful when we're finally, safely on the ground.


As we deplane and walk up the stairs to the airport terminal, I turn to look back. A chapter in our lives is over and a new one is beginning. What will it bring? I don't know, but God gives me peace. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)

1 comment: